CAPTAIN ABEL WESTFALL'S COMPANY - 8TH VIRGINIA REGIMENT (1776-1778)
Note: The source of the following list is Roll #106, Series M-246 of the
Revolutionary War Microfilm collection at the National Archives. The
comments in parenthesis ( ) are those of the compiler, william H. Rice,
based on other sources available to him. The unit is made up of 1776
residents of Hampshire County, Virginia in most cases.
NOTE: Thanks very much to Bill Rice for taking time to prepare this most
valuable record for publication.
- John Anderson - Corp (probably the same John Anderson who was
son-in-law of Daniel Hornbeck and listed in 1782 Hampshire County tax
list of Abel Randall.)
- Joseph Baldwin - Deserted 1 April 1777 (Probably related to the
William Baldwin with 1762 grant on North River in Hamp. Co.)
- Edward Barnett/Barnard - On Furlough in Virginia (May be the Edward
Barnard listed in the 1782 Hamp. Co. tax list of Vincent Williams. )
- James Benwick/Burnwick - 2nd Lt.
- George Best - In hospital (Possible grandson of George See)
- Burkett Boarer/Bozer - On furlough in Virginia. Prisoner on 4
October 1777 (the widow Borrer in the 1782 Abel Randall tax list in
Hampshire County may be his wife).
- Abraham Bowman - Colonel - 8 Va. Regt. Commander (Probably the same
person Kercheval says went to Kentucky).
- James Brady/Brandy - Prisoner 4 October 1777
- Thomas Brannon - Sick in Bethlehem (Probably same person who
witnessed 1771 Hampshire County Deed from James Scott to John Wood on
- Richard Cain (Kane) (Possibly the same man listed in 1782 Monongalia
County tax list.)
- John Chenoweth/Cheneth - Corp. - Prisoner on 4 October 1777.
- James Christy - Drummer (Probably the same person listed in 1784
Hampshire County tax list of Job Welton).
- Charles Collins
- James Crawley - Deserted in April 1776.
- Christy Donally (Widow may be the Elizabeth Donnelly listed in the
1732 Hampshire County tax list of Levi Ashbrook).
- Terrance Doyle (1779 grant on North Branch in Hampshire County and on
1732 Hampshire County tax list of William Vause).
- Joseph Edwards - Died 31 May 1777 (Probably the member of Edwards
Family on Great Cacapon in Hampshire County).
- Philip Feint/Faint
- Osburn Flinn - Sgt on command
- Anthony Fox - Sick in Virginia
- George Funt - Sick in Philadelphia
- Patrick Gallahan - Fifer - Died 20 September 1776.
- James Galloway - Died 7 June 1776/January 1777.
- Duncan Graham (Probably lived in Grant County area).
- John Graham (Same as above).
- John Green - Deserted 12 August 1776 (Possibly married daughter of
Conrad Lutz & listed in 1782 Monongalia County tax list).
- Lawrence Greenholm - Ensign
- John Haggen - Died 15 March 1778
- Henry Hagle - Deserted 23 May 1776 (Probably brother of Michael and
John Hagle ).
- William Harvey/Hennesy - Prisoner 4 October 1777
- John Hicks
- John Hogg (Possible survey for him in 1780 on Black Thorn )
- Abraham Hornbeck (probably son of Daniel Hornbeck of South Branch ).
- James Hornbeck - On furlough in Virginia (Probably brother of above
- Michael Howell - Fifer - Prisoner 4 October 1777
- John Huff - Died 15 September 1776 (Probably related to the Abraham
Huff who got grant on Great Cacapon in 1789).
- Tobias Hunt - Deserted 23 May 1776
- Moses Johns - Sick in Carolina (Probably is the Moses Jones who sell
tract to George Sharff in 1798 in Hampshire County ).
- Patrick Johnston/Johnson (probably settler by that name on Cheat
River in present day Tucker County 1782-1789).
- Joseph Jones - On furlough in Virginia
- Peter Kerens - Sgt (Probably same man listed in 1782 Hampshire County
tax list of William Buffington).
- William Kyneto/Kynets - Died 18/26 September 1776
- Philip Kysinger - took place of Peter See - Deserted 2 July 1777
- Philip Landers/Sanders - Died 9 March 1777 (Probably member of family
of that name who got 1779 grants on Tear Coat Run. )
- Andrew Layton - Sick in Maryland - Sick in Peter Little's town
(Probably related to the Elias Layton in the 1782 Monongalia County tax
list on Cheat River near Patrick Johnson)
- Francis Lebun/Lebionon - Deserted 15 July/August 1776
- Hugh Lewis (Got 1777 grant on North Branch in Hampshire County).
- Strother Little - Sgt (Probably related to the Michael Little who got
1780 grant on North Branch ).
- William Lord
- Edward Martin - Deserted 23 may 1776 - (Possibly same man by that
name with Belmont County, Ohio Will recorded in Hampshire County ).
- Edward McCarty - Sgt. (1782 William Vause tax list and 1788 grant on
Knobly Mountain, both in Hampshire County).
- William McCormick - Pvt - Died 28 Dec 1776
- John McDermott - Deserted August 1776
- James McDonald - Sick in Virginia
- Peter McDonald - (1792 Hampshire County Grant on South Branch).
- Lawrence McGuire - Sick Morristown - Died 9 April 1777
- Michael McKnight/M. Right - Deserted 18 May 1777 (Michael McKnight is
85 year old Pvt. in Virginia Line listed in 1835 RevolutionaryWar
Pensioners Report in Hardy County).
- Henry Miller (Possibly 1782 Hampshire Co. tax list of William Vause
and possible 1791 grants on New Creek and Knobly Mountain ).
- Edward Moody - 1st. Lt.
- Patrick Moore - Sick in Fredericksburg
- John Munks (1782 tax list of Abraham Hite. Married widow of
- Thomas O'Banion (Probably related to the Joseph Obannon listed in the
1782 tax list of Abraham Hite ).
- Joseph Pancake (1778 sale of Ephraim Richardson, 1780 Tygart Valley
petition and 1782 Abel Randall tax list).
- Daniel Parks - Sick (1782 Hampshire County estate settlement ).
- Thomas Parnell/Farrell - Deserted 18 May 1777.
- Zachariah Pigman - Prisoner 22 October 1777 (Probably related to the
Moses Pigman who got 1779 grant on Tear Coat Creek).
- Thomas Price - Deserted 22 October 1776 (1775 Hampshire County Deed
to William Thixton in Grant County area and listed on 1777 Tygart Valley
petition ) .
- William Price - Entered South Service (possible listing in 1782 tax
list of William Buffington ).
- Reese Prichard - Ensign - (90 year old Ensign Virginia Line in 1835
Revolutionary War Pensioners Report in Hampshire County. Died 25
September 1830 ).
- Benjamin Russell - Deserted April 1776
- Simon Savage
- Peter See/Lea - On furlough in Virginia - Philip Kysinger in his
place (Possible son of Frederick See ).
- Henry Shepler - Deserted 23 May 1776 (Son of Henry Shepler, 1780
Hampshire County grant with brother John Shepler, 1782 Michael Stump tax
- John Shepler - Deserted- 23 May 1776 (See above ).
- James Shields
- John Stump - Sick in Maryland (Possible son of Michael Stump.
Probably married Mary Magdelena Brake about 1771).
- James Taffe (Born 1755 married daughter of Aaron Richardson In
Harrison County in 1787, to Bourbon County by 1792 ).
- William Taylor - On furlough in Virginia
- George Villers/Dillon?
- Robert Wadsworth (84 year old Pvt. Virginia Line listed in 1835
Revolutionary War Pensioners Report in Harrison County).
- Jacob Watson - Sick in Carolina
- Thomas Watson - Deserted May 1776
- William Watson - Sick in Philadelphia
- Michael Weese/Wees - Sick in Virginia, Furlough in Virginia, Waggoner
(1780 Will in Hampshire County).
- John Welch (Possibly in 1782 Monongalia County tax list and in 1835
report of Revolutionary War Pensioners in Harrison County as 84 year old.
Pvt. in Virginia State Troops ).
- James West - Entered South Service 20 September 1776
- Abel Westfall - Capt. - Resigned 22 Nov 1777 (Revolutionary War
Pensioner - unit marched with George Washington 23 February 1776 ).
- Cornelius Westfall - Ensign (Probable brother to above and son of
John Westfall and Sarah Vannoy).
- Jacob Westfall - Sgt - Sick in Philadelphia & in Jersey (Probably
brother to above).
- George Wilfong - Sick in Carolina & in Philadelphia (probably son of
Michael Wilfong ).
- William Winters - Sick in Carolina
- John York - Deserted 8 December 1777
Allegheny Regional Family History Society
Post Office Box 1804
Elkins, West Virginia 26241
Comments regarding this page to: