In case you ever wondered what electronic commerce was about, consider
the following definitions of the word commerce. These definitions
come from reputable dictionaries.
- The exchange or buying and selling of commodities; esp.
the exchange of merchandise, on a large scale, between
different places or communities; extended trade or traffic.
The public becomes powerful in proportion to the
opulence and extensive commerce of private men.
- Social intercourse; the dealings of one person or class in
society with another; familiarity.
- Fifteen years of thought, observation, and commerce
with the world had made him [Bunyan] wiser.
- Sexual intercourse. -W. Montagu.
Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)
- financial transactions, esp. the buying and selling of
merchandise, on a large scale.
intercourse (the daily commerce of gossip and opinion).
- archaic sexual
Source: Oxford's Concise Dictionary
Etymology: Middle French, from Latin commercium, from com- +
merc-, merx merchandise
- social intercourse : interchange of ideas, opinions,
- the exchange or buying and selling of
commodities on a large scale involving transportation from place to
- sexual intercourse
Source: Merriam-Webster Dictionary
* Since when did sexual intercourse become archaic?
You can return now.